Accounting Assistant - Accounts Payable
Responsible for the financial processing of accounts payable transactions. Works with Controller/Accounting Manager and budget accounting managers to assure accurate recording of expenses using correct accounting codes.
- Maintains Accounts Payable, ensuring bills are paid in a timely and accurate manner while adhering to departmental procedures.
- Receives and verifies expense reports; reconciles expense and other financial reports with account balances and other office records.
- Facilitates payment of vendors, which may include verification of federal ID numbers, reviewing purchase orders, and resolving discrepancies.
- Ensures outstanding obligations are credited upon payment, identifies discount opportunities, and issues invoice approval amendments or stop-payment orders as needed.
- Assists with accounting records and ledgers by reconciling monthly statements and transactions.
- Records entry of, verifies documentation for, and distributes petty cash.
- Tracks expenditures for special accounts such as grants and coordinating expenses with budget account manager.
- Answers questions pertaining to expenditures and provides additional reports as needed.
- Prepares and files IRS Forms 1099 at year-end.
- Prepares audit working papers and other periodic reports as needed.
- Assists Controller/Accounting Manager with contract administration.
- Creates and maintains applications to increase efficiency in the interface of accounting with other departments.
- Counts cash and sorts incoming mail when no summer accounting assistant is on site.
- Prepares Fixed Assets reports and corresponding audit support.
- As time permits, learn other accounting system components, with emphasis on the Accounts Receivable application.
- Must be reliable and extremely trustworthy.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related programs.
- Must be able to learn accounting software systems.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidential and meticulous records.
Required Education and Experience:
- College degree in business or equivalent bookkeeping experience.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Buffalo Bill Center of the West provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.