Accounting Assistant - Account Receivable
Position Reports To Controller/Finance Director
Status: Non-Exempt/ Full-Time
Perform all accounting functions relating to accounts receivable, contributions, grants, admissions, store and food sales and other income to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West.
- Maintain accounts receivable and pledge receivables through the recording of invoices, and payments received, printing customer statements, and generating planned and ad hoc reports. File supporting source documents both as electronic files and as physical paper documents.
- Works closely with other departments to ensure the accuracy in the recording of contributions, grants, admissions, sales income, and other earned and miscellaneous income to the general ledger including any miscellaneous cash receipts.
- Record daily and monthly revenues and fees including but not limited to admissions, gift shop, café, coffee bar, catering, records, rights and reproduction, education, and special events.
- Record the revenue from the items sold and classify them as deaccessioned.
- Responsible for the preparation and recording of appropriate General Ledger entries relating to accounts receivable and revenue transactions.
- Responsible for answering questions and provide additional reports pertaining to revenues, accounts receivable, contributions, and other activity when requested.
- Assist in the preparation of audit working papers and other periodic reporting related to revenues, accounts receivable, contributions, and other activities.
- Reconciliation of accounts receivable subsidiary ledger to the general ledger.
- Reconciliation of the activity recorded in other sales systems to the general ledger.
- Reconciliation of the activity recorded in other sales systems to deposits on the bank accounts.
- Work with the Controller/Finance Director with any findings, questions, and recommendations relating the recording of any of the above transactions.
- Provide support to staff as it relates to efficient accounting requirements (includes forms, policy manuals, and procedures).
- Be available to work with staff and community members on revenue-generating initiatives and contracts.
- Basic understanding of the revenue/cash receipt accounting cycle
- Attention to detail and being thorough
- Organizational skills
- Ethical Conduct
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to navigate and use different software systems including Microsoft products. Strong preference for knowledge and effective use of accounting and point-of-sale software such as Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains (GP); Sage Intacct; Raisers Edge, Lightspeed, ATMS, Square, and Stripe.
- Ability to work with and troubleshoot issues with all users (particularly front-end “public” users) of the different accounting and point-of-sale software.
- Train and help supervise seasonal accounting assistant.
Required Education and Experience:
- Associate degree in accounting or
- At least two years of equivalent bookkeeping experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer-based accounting
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- The Accounting/Finance department strives to provide excellent customer service both internally and externally, and to position the department as a supportive team playing its optimum role in making the Center the best it can be as a museum and as an institution. Any changes in the work responsibilities of this position would be in the interest of making the work product of Accounts Receivable position more responsive, efficient, and effective.
- Note also, the Center will be migrating from Microsoft Dynamics GP to Sage Intacct over the spring of 2024. The Accounts Receivable hire will need to function in GP as well as to learn and become highly proficient in the Receivables modules of Sage Intacct. The Accounts Receivable hire will need to be functional in other Sage Intacct modules as applicable to the work responsibilities of the Accounts Receivable position.
- Buffalo Bill Center of the West provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.